What To Ask Your Doctor
Be sure you understand what type of colon cancer you have, because it has a direct bearing on the treatment options your doctor will consider for you.
Here are some questions to guide you as you collect information regarding your treatment:
- How do I obtain a copy of my pathology report and testing information?
- How large and at what stage is my tumor?
- Is there a way to tell how quickly my cancer is growing or if it is invasive?
- How likely is my cancer to spread?
- Am I a candidate for the Oncotype DX® 1 2 test, or other tumor specific tests?
- Am I going to need radiation or chemotherapy and if so, what can I expect during that period of time?
- Has my cancer metastasized?
- How quickly can I expect to recover?
- What is my risk of having the cancer come back (recurrence)?
- What can I do to help prevent the return of my cancer?
- How often do you recommend I be screened for recurrent cancer?
- Do you have any recommendations for support groups?
Print These Questions
- Oncotype DX is a registered trademark of Genomic Health, Inc.
- At present, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN®) has not described the utility of the application of multi-gene assay panels for prognostic or predictive application to colon cancer care. NCCN is a registered trademark of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN does not endorse any product or therapy.